Energy Crisis in Pakistan— Electricity Transmission and Distribution Analysis
This deficit in the supply and demand chain results in adjusting the 22000 MG electricity according to a consumer need of 25000MG, hence giving rise to load shedding.
Pakistan produces around 12000 megawatt (MW) more electricity than its need. Then why do we have load shedding? If we have extra electricity, why is the electricity cost increasing day by day? These are the questions many Pakistanis ask. Let’s dig deeper.
In general, losses are estimated from the discrepancy between power produced (as reported by power plants) and fuel sold to the end customers; the difference between what is produced and consumed constitutes transmission and distribution losses, assuming no utility theft occurs. The transmission and distribution setup of Pakistan can provide 22000MW electricity to the end consumer (industries and domestic use ). While The consumer demand is 25000MW, There is a shortfall of 3000MW that the transmission system cannot support.
This deficit in the supply and demand chain results in adjusting the 22000MW electricity according to a consumer need of 25000MW, hence giving rise to load shedding. There are several moving parts to the supply chain.
After power generation in powerhouses, the voltage is stepped up to be transmitted via primary transmission lines to 500/220-kilovolt grid stations. In these grid stations, the voltage is converted to 132kv and then transmitted via secondary transmission lines to 132kv grid stations.
From here, they are transmitted to distribution lines and delivered to consumers. The capacity of all these units — primary transmission lines, secondary transmission lines, grid stations, distribution lines, distribution transformers — has failed to keep pace with the increase in demands.
The share of indigenous electricity resources like hydro, nuclear, and renewable energy, which does not depend on the regular import of fuel, is 41%. But the share of thermal-based electricity which relies on expensive oil fuel from other countries is 59.42%.
The crisis of energy losses
Our transmission lines run through very long distances, leading to line losses. The distribution lines also are prone to failures because of no up-gradation of cables and transformers. Together the line and distribution losses account for up to a whopping 18.3 percent of what we feed. For developed countries like Germany and France, it is 4 and 6 percent respectively.
Additionally, power theft, low metering rate and corruption have restricted the Distribution Companies (DISCOs) like IESCO, PESCO, LESCO, etc., to make a full recovery.
Why electricity is getting expensive
All these losses result in overburdening the government. To minimize the damage, especially electricity theft, Govt has to adjust the tariffs. This increases bills. But wait, that is not the only reason for a rise in bills.
The department responsible for regulating the electricity supply in Pakistan is called National Electric Power Regulatory Authority (NEPRA). According to the 2020 official report of NEPRA, Pakistan’s total installed power generation capacity as of 30th June 2020 was 38,719 MW. This energy is produced from different sources like hydro, nuclear, thermal, and renewable energy (RE).
The share of indigenous electricity resources like hydro, nuclear, and renewable energy, which does not depend on the regular import of fuel, is 41%. But the share of thermal-based electricity which relies on expensive oil fuel from other countries is 59.42%. The breakdown is given in the figure and table below.
From the table, we see that share of thermal-based energy is highest in electricity production in Pakistan. The cost of this energy is directly related to the cost of fuel in the international market. Due to the growing demand for energy globally, fuel prices are skyrocketing. Pakistan also will have to buy the fuel at high rates than before. And this will also burden on our cost of energy production hence adding to our monthly bills.
The solutions to energy crisis
The plan is simple: Inject data-driven planning. Inject expertise. The following strategies can be adopted:
- We know that fuel based electricity is expensive for us and also unreliable due to unreliable logistic situation in covid-19. Nuclear, hydro and RE are our best bet.
- Reducing transmission and distribution losses will help solve our energy crisis to a greater extent. For achieving this, new technologies like HVDC shall be adopted.
- High-Voltage Direct Current (HVDC) Transmission
An emerging trend being considered is high-voltage direct current (HVDC) lines because of some of the advantages in the efficiency. According to an ABB study, HVDC lines provide 25 percent lower line losses, two to five times the capacity of AC lines at similar voltages, and the ability to precisely control the flow of power.
- With better planning, based on reliable and historic data and the use of modern techniques such as hybridization of REpower, challenges in the induction of REpower plants can be managed to a larger extent. In order to take advantage of the solar potential across the country; small and medium-sized solar power plants may be installed near load centers, where the power evacuation facility (grid) already exists to minimize the transmission cost. Acknowledging the importance of RE power plants, the Federal Government has set a target of 20% RE capacity by 2025 and 30% by 2030 in the national grid.
- In order to exploit this solar energy, the process of Net-metering should be made fast and easy. Right now there are only 104 companies across Pakistan that are licensed to install the solar systems required for putting an application of net-metering.
Also, the net-metering application waiting time is 3 months, which means the solar system installed by consumers will be wasting the extra power it generates. It cannot be shared with the Water And Power Development Authority (WAPDA) until the new meter is installed. During FY 2019-20, only 3,334 Nos. of Net-Metering Licenses with a total installed capacity of 56.87 MW were issued. The efficiency of the process can be increased by introducing private distribution companies. This will end the monopoly of government-controlled DISCOs and increase the quality of service.
- Retiring the circular debt by Improving the billing collection ratio and 100 % metering.
-  State of industry report 2020
-  Sustainable energy handbook, module 5.5, Grid loss reduction, https://europa.eu
-  Nitrogen Assessment: Pakistan as a Case-Study, Tariq Aziz, Abdul Wakeel,
- https://books.google.co.kr/books?id=HOkGEAAAQBAJ&pg=PA64&lpg=PA64&dq=Pakistan+has+a+capacit y+of+providing+22000+MW+electricity&source=bl&ots=AHZDZsaA7_&sig=ACfU3U30wNcO4S3WEFhnDC KxpAnJKw36Yw&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjA0OKUo6X2AhURsFYBHTvyCLMQ6AF6BAg6EAM#v=onepag e&q=Pakistan%20has%20a%20capacity%20of%20providing%2022000%20MW%20electricity&f=false
-  Pakistan’s electricity generation has increased over time. https://www.dawn.com/news/1430728
-  Great Potential, Many Pitfalls: Understanding China’s Belt and Road Initiative by Bijan Omrani https://books.google.co.kr/books?id=sSszEAAAQBAJ&pg=PA62&lpg=PA62&dq=Pakistan+has+a+capacity+ of+providing+22000+MW+electricity&source=bl&ots=ZCCGzVpbMm&sig=ACfU3U2IYvN7qxDpb1NraqJ6u BdspUow_A&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjA0OKUo6X2AhURsFYBHTvyCLMQ6AF6BAghEAM#v=onepage& q=Pakistan%20has%20a%20capacity%20of%20providing%2022000%20MW%20electricity&f=false
-  Energy Crisis in Pakistan | Pakistan Energy problems and its solutions |Electricity in Pakistan CSS https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6H9PMlRTu7U&ab_channel=CSSForum
-  Measures for reducing transmission and distribution losses of Pakistan, IJSER Journal
- https://www.ijser.org/paper/Measures-for-reducing-transmission-and-distribution-losses-of Pakistan.html
-  Distribution firms suffer 18.3pc losses this year. https://www.dawn.com/news/1460225  Pakistan Economic Survey 2020-21, chapter 14: Energy https://www.finance.gov.pk/survey/chapters_21/14-Energy.pdf
-  Convert from AC to HVDC for higher power transmission
-  NET-METERING REFERENCE GUIDE FOR ELECTRICITY CONSUMER,
-  Solar Net-metering, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBOyAPtY5Xg&ab_channel=SyedOwaisAli
Also Read: Climate Change and Residential buildings- the way forward
Wisal Kamal is a mechatronics engineer who graduated from UET Peshawar and currently doing his Ph.D. in mechanical engineering from South Korea. He has a keen interest in energy, SDGs, astronomy, and Artificial Intelligence. Since 2013 he has been involved in various energy and SDG projects.
37 thoughts on “Energy Crisis in Pakistan— Electricity Transmission and Distribution Analysis”
Hi, everything is going perfectly here and ofcourse every one is sharing
data, that’s truly fine, keep up writing.
This information is priceless. When can I find out more?
I simply couldn’t leave your website prior to suggesting that
I really loved the standard info an individual supply to your visitors?
Is going to be again ceaselessly in order to investigate cross-check
Hi there, I found your web site by the use of Google while searching for a similar matter, your web site got here up, it appears to be like good.
I have bookmarked it in my google bookmarks.
Hello there, simply changed into aware of your blog thru Google, and located that it is
really informative. I’m gonna be careful for brussels.
I’ll be grateful in the event you proceed this in future.
A lot of folks will be benefited from your writing. Cheers!
Excellent article. I will be experiencing many
of these issues as well..
This is a topic which is near to my heart…
Many thanks! Where are your contact details though?
Hi there! Do you use Twitter? I’d like to follow you
if that would be okay. I’m definitely enjoying your blog
and look forward to new posts.
Definitely believe that that you said. Your favorite justification seemed to be at the
internet the simplest thing to take note of. I say to you,
I certainly get annoyed whilst people consider issues that they plainly
do not realize about. You managed to hit the nail upon the top as well as outlined
out the whole thing without having side-effects , other people could take a signal.
Will likely be again to get more. Thanks
Undeniably believe that which you stated. Your favorite justification appeared to be on the
net the simplest thing to be aware of. I say to you, I definitely get
annoyed while people think about worries that they plainly
don’t know about. You managed to hit the nail upon the top
and defined out the whole thing without having side effect , people could take a signal.
Will likely be back to get more. Thanks
Hmm is anyone else experiencing problems with the images on this blog loading?
I’m trying to determine if its a problem on my end or if it’s
the blog. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Hello i am kavin, its my first occasion to commenting anyplace, when i read this post i thought
i could also make comment due to this sensible article.
There’s definately a great deal to learn about this subject.
I love all the points you made.
I’m amazed, I must say. Rarely do I encounter a blog that’s equally
educative and engaging, and let me tell you, you’ve hit the nail
on the head. The issue is something which not enough people are speaking intelligently about.
I am very happy I came across this in my hunt for something regarding this.
This is very interesting, You’re a very skilled blogger.
I have joined your rss feed and look forward to seeking more of your fantastic post.
Also, I have shared your web site in my social networks!
It’s hard to come by knowledgeable people on this subject, however,
you sound like you know what you’re talking about! Thanks
I’ve been absent for a while, but now I remember why I used to love this blog. Thanks, I?¦ll try and check back more often. How frequently you update your web site?
Hurrah! Finally I got a web site from where I know how to truly take
useful facts concerning my study and knowledge.
buying ed pills online
Hi there are using WordPress for your blog platform? I’m new to the blog world but I’m trying to get started and create my own. Do you need any coding expertise to make your own blog? Any help would be really appreciated!
Nice post. I be taught something tougher on completely different blogs everyday. It should always be stimulating to read content from other writers and apply a little bit something from their store. I’d prefer to make use of some with the content material on my weblog whether or not you don’t mind. Natually I’ll give you a hyperlink on your internet blog. Thanks for sharing.
you have a great blog here! would you like to make some invite posts on my blog?
stromectol for scabies ivermectin overdose in humans ivermectin for gapeworm
ed medications over the counter natural remedies for ed problems ed medicine online
cialis canadian pharmacy cialis generic cialis (tadalafil) 20mg
what drugs interact with ivermectin buying ivermectin online how long does ivermectin toxicity last
prednisone 5 mg tablet cost generic prednisone prednisone capsules
male erectile dysfunction over the counter ed treatment erectile dysfunction drug
Hmm it appears like your site ate my first comment (it was super long) so I
guess I’ll just sum it up what I wrote and say, I’m thoroughly enjoying your blog.
I too am an aspiring blog writer but I’m still new to everything.
Do you have any helpful hints for novice blog writers?
I’d certainly appreciate it.
what are ed drugs erectile dysfunction medicines ed meds
Hello my friend! I want to say that this post
is amazing, great written and include approximately all significant infos.
I’d like to see more posts like this .
269841 308429We are a group of volunteers and opening a new scheme in our community. Your web web site given us with valuable info to work on. Youve done an impressive job and our entire community is going to be grateful to you. 821572
purchase finasteride without a prescription buy finasteride online propecia purchase
What i do not realize is in truth how you’re now not actually a lot more neatly-liked than you may be right
now. You are very intelligent. You understand thus considerably
on the subject of this matter, produced me for my part consider it from a lot of varied angles.
Its like men and women don’t seem to be interested
until it’s something to accomplish with Lady gaga! Your personal stuffs outstanding.
All the time maintain it up!
stromectol price usa stromectol without a doctor prescription buy stromectol online
Comments are closed.